Subject: [Leica] Wow, dig that crazy 90/AA!
From: Peter Klein <pklein@2alpha.net>
Date: Tue, 06 May 2003 17:43:22 -0700

Well, folks, here are a couple of shots that really show the
characteristics of the 90/2 APO ASPH.  I don't own this lens, I borrowed it
to see what it might do for my theatre and concert work.  These are from
the "Music of Remembrance" series,  but the first has not been seen here
before.  These are old Tri-X, f/2 at 1/125.  The performers are about 30
feet away.  The faces were burned in slightly.

On this one, I focused on the female cellist's face.  Even wide-open, the
90/AA is so sharp you could commit suicide with it.  But you pay a
price--the focus drops off more quickly than a conventional-design lens, so
the *usable* depth of field is less.  Look at the other performers in the
above picture, and you'll see what I mean.  They're just not that far
apart, relative to the camera.  The Asian cellist on the left may have been
moving when I took this, but the others were quite still.
http://www2.2alpha.com/~pklein/musicremem/2-09SchulhofBowsWeb.jpg

This one shows the same effect, to a lesser degree.
http://www2.2alpha.com/~pklein/musicremem/2-03LonyaMischaWeb.jpg

Now here's a picture taken with my "Nippon-Sonnar," a 1950s 85/2 Nikkor, at
f/2.8
http://www2.2alpha.com/~pklein/currentpics/quartet.htm

Now granted, it's a stop down, and from a bit farther away.  And the 90/AA
is visibly better at f/2 than the Nikkor is at f/2.8.  But the three
performers in the front are all in acceptable focus, and the quality is
still quite usable.  Perhaps curvature of field helped me here.

Even at f/2, the Nikkor is still usable, though decidedly a notch below its
f/2.8 performance.
http://www2.2alpha.com/~pklein/currentpics/katimsaward.htm

This session has triggered some serious thinking.  One one had, I look at
the image quality of the 90/AA, and I think, I *want* that.  On the other
hand, I might be better off pushing Tri-X to 800 and shooting at f/2.8
whenever possible for greater depth-of-field.  At which point, other, less
costly lenses are quite good enough.

Now I've got to borrow a pre-ASPH 90 Summicron-M (the small one) and try
that one out under similar conditions.

- --Peter Klein
Seattle, WA

Replies: Reply from "Don Dory" <dorysrus@mindspring.com> (Re: [Leica] Wow, dig that crazy 90/AA!)