Subject: RE: [Leica] Questions about consistancy within a project
From: Adam Bridge <abridge@mac.com>
Date: Sat, 26 Apr 2003 10:52:44 -0700

I'd like to thank all of you who replied for your thoughts.

B.D. is right on, of course, when he says its about the subjects. That's why I
doing this. I want to get the best results I can to honor the exposure of these
strangers to my lens and my art.

The conditions I have shot in over the past month are the most exteme I will
encounter: late afternoon toward twilight in areas where I have absolutely no
control of either subject location or ambient light or shadow. Sometimes there
is heavy overcast verging on rain. Other times there is bright sun. Sometimes I
shoot at noon.

I'm leaning to the APX100 as my standard film because there is something about
the look of this film I like a lot. I'm still learning how to expose it in the
tricky metering conditions in which I am currently working - but what better for
my craft.

To date I have shot about 10 rolls of film on this project. 2 Neopan 1600, 4
Tri-X (old), and 4 APX 100. I eagerly process each roll. Certainly there is a
joy to this for me since in combines several passions.

I can't use a tripod or even a monopod in my shooting - prohibited by the rules
of the venues. And there is something about it that I think is inhibiting for my
subjects. I say this because I have used my M6s and my R8 and I now know that
the M6 is absolutely the right tool for this job. When I bring up the R8 people
change. When I bring up the M6 they don't. I do get some questions about the
antique camera I'm using although once a fellow noticed the Leica name.

To Chris: yes I don't know either the APX100 or the Neopan 1600 as well as the
Tri-X (at 400). I haven't done much pushing of the Tri-X. I suppose I should
work with that as well and see how it performs. There is a part of me that
resists "wasting film" as I learn how to use it. A learned response from
childhood when every photo I took was evaluated for the monetary consequence.
The idea that one would bracket to get the right exposure was deemed a horrible
waste and "working" a shot to find the right one was your basic crime. 40 years
and some lessons are difficult to unlearn.

Well off to shoot some pictures.
Best regards and thanks to all who took the time to share their thoughts.

Adam