Subject: Re: [Leica] The Tri-Elmar flare thing
From: "Dan States" <dstate1@hotmail.com>
Date: Sat, 26 Apr 2003 01:01:06 +0000

Alastair, I did not use a hood, but in many of the shots I believe it really
would not have mattered.  In several cases I was shooting in a well shaded
and relatively dark area. (At a temple in rural Japan on a cloudy day,
shaded by heavy trees and a large gate.)  There was no direct light shining
on the camera at all.  Only a distant cloundy background in a small portion
of the center of the frame.  In these shots the shadow detail was washed out
with exactly the same flare you showed in your scans.

Indeed, if my very unscientific guess is correct about the cause of the
flare, a hood will do nothing, since the cause is mechanical and internal,
not optical.  It's interesting to compare a lens like the Contax 90mm Sonnar
G, with has really outstanding flare control, to the Tri-Elmar.  The inner
barrel of the Sonnar is jet black, with a velvet lining.  NO light boucing
around in there.

When printing in black and white I typically had to use 1 full contrast
grade higher when the shot was taken in the 50mm setting.  Only  when the
light was to my back, was the contrast close to the 28mm or 35mm settings.

By the way, to be fair, the 35mm setting was quite superb.  Nearly as sharp
as my Summicron and no distortion or flare.  That said, it's a pretty
expensive f 4.0 35mm lens.

At the 28mm setting I found the resolution to be lower, distortion very high
and flare well controlled.  Sorry, now I am starting to repeat myself.

Dan States