Subject: Re: [Leica] LUG meets NYLUG 03 Meeting or PLUGer goes to big apple!
From: Rei Shinozuka <shino@panix.com>
Date: Tue, 15 Apr 2003 11:46:59 -0400

On Mon, Apr 14, 2003 at 05:48:10PM -0400, A. Lal wrote:
> Just a few additional comments:
>
> 1. I saw no Leica reflex cameras being used - this only adds to my pessimism. There were a couple of screw mounts, but   most
> attendees were using M's. A certain enthusiastic LUG'er was using a Maxxum 7 w. 85/1.4. He was able to snap off several frames in
> less time than it takes a Noctilux user to focus properly.

i think i know that gentleman :-) who kindly offered to show off his toy.
and i was the fellow with the noctilux.

i'll admit the maxxum was an impressive hunk of technology--my first impression
was of surprising lightness, considering the big glass.  however, in the
room light present the AF did a fair amount of hunting and stepping and
given a good day i think i'd be bold enough to put my 75 lux and m6 0.85
against the maxxum 85/1.4 wide open with regard to speed and number of
well-focussed frames!!

unfortunately i can't put my money where my mouth is because i only used
the noct that day.  friday the previous, i did photograph my good friend
the grandmaster challenging an International Master who also happened to
work at Morgan Stanley and used the noct, the 75 lux , 90 cron AA, the 35 lux
asph and 21 elmarit (preasph).  something like a chess game is where the
quietness and ununtrusive nature of the M really shines.

- -rei
- --
Rei Shinozuka shino@panix.com
Ridgewood, New Jersey