Subject: Re: [Leica] Developers for Scanning Negs......was Rodinal and spots(was: xtol replacement)
From: Mark Rabiner <mark@rabinergroup.com>
Date: Sun, 06 Apr 2003 17:34:37 -0700

George Huczek wrote:
><Snip>
>
> Regarding the health risk issue, you should be aware that most developers,
> even ones like metol and hydroquinone pose health risks.  DiXactol is a
> Catechol-based developer, so it should be used with darkroom gloves,
> following standard lab safety procedures. It comes premixed, so you don't
> have the worry of inhaling powders.
>
>   _
>  |_|
>  [o] - GH
> --

Metal Elon is the most common allergin which will keep a person out of
the darkroom.
But a person can be allergic to anything. Ascorbic acid for instance,
not at all unheard of for people to be allergic to than and no typical
darkroom chemicals. You can be allergic to the latex gloves you think
you are being such a good boy or girl using.
You could be allergic to hypo clear or Orbit bath.
I've been told to keep food out of the darkroom and that sounds good to
me and I do that now. Except I've already been printing for 20 years and
i seem to be OK.
I know if my apple drops off the shelf into my hypo (fixer to you buddy)
than i should put it in the wash for 20 minutes and seriously consider
not eating it.

Mark Rabiner
Portland, Oregon USA
http://www.rabinergroup.com