Subject: Re: [Leica] Rodinal and spots (was: xtol replacement)
From: Richard Wasserman <disfromage@ameritech.net>
Date: Sat, 5 Apr 2003 13:16:31 -0600

On Friday, April 4, 2003, at 12:34  AM, Martin Howard wrote:

> I've just set an assignment for myself: to use my old 6x9 Moskva-5
> folder.  GeeBee's splendid, moody B&W images of the English
> countryside has inspired me to try to document the parts of California
> I find myself in.  I thought I'd contact print 6x9cm negs onto 5x7"
> paper.  I'm using the 23 rolls of Verichrome Pan 120 that I have left,
> after which I'd guess I need to find another EI 100/200 film.
>
>  ...what would you recommend in order to get:
>
> 	a) Very long tonal range
> 	b) High edge actuance (i.e., sharpness)

Hi Martin,
This sounds like a great project, I love contact prints!  Of course
when shooting 6x9 your 23 rolls of V pan will go quickly. If you are
only going to be doing contacts you don't need to worry about grain or
or much else other than tonality.  One of the best things you can do,
no matter what film you choose is to make sure you expose it
generously.  I assume you won't want to do a lot of testing, so suggest
you cut the manufacturer's film speed in half and reduce development
time accordingly, you need gutsy negatives for contacts.  I can
recommend Fp-4 and Tri-x  in PMK as being two of the most beautiful
combos around.  Let me know off list if you want more info on PMK, it's
really not a big deal.  Good luck and have fun.
Richard Wasserman

Replies: Reply from "Gary Williams" <nasmformyzombie@mindspring.com> ([Leica] Developers for Scanning Negs......was Rodinal and spots (was: xtol replacement))
Reply from George Huczek <ghuczek@sk.sympatico.ca> (Re: [Leica] Developers for Scanning Negs......was Rodinal and spots (was: xtol replacement))