Subject: Re: [Leica] Alternate to current 35mm ASPH?
From: Mark Rabiner <mark@rabinergroup.com>
Date: Sun, 06 Apr 2003 17:22:58 -0700

Dan C wrote:

> Yeah, but thats not all of the difference.   Think about the loss of DOF!
>
> dan c.

A good one! How many feet do I loose?! (or meters) How much more space
can i grab?
I'm sure that's a consideration on which film people are picking.
I'm sure it has been for me. Not grain. But space. Front to back.

For me I miss my focus a lot with my 50 as much as i love the focal
length so i end up using the 35 and knowing I'm gong to get the shot. (I
kind of like my shots in focus some feel there are more important things
in life)  Now with my use of the 1600 film (Fuji) I feel like i know now
feel more secure about getting the shot with the 50.

By the way i do not worship focus. The sharp picture. Sometimes you miss
your focus but you haven't missed your shot.
Its a shame to edit out your shot of the century just because the
eyelashes aren't all there. Maybe you're getting afeeling of motion that
is nice to have.

The big example for me in my work and i bet i could come up with others
is this shot of Naomi shot with a Zeiss 50 Planar on a Contarex
bull's-eye on Panatomic x and run in Beutlers.
http://www.rabinergroup.com/ImagePages/Naomipage.html
I've studied the shot blown up 11x14 or 16x20 with a Loupe and she's
standing a few inches just behind the plane of focus. The cracked tar
she is standing on is a dead giveaway. This adds to the disturbingneess
of the image i think in kind of an interesting way that i would have not anticipated.
I honest to god think if she was sharp in focus the shot would suffer. I
should have scanned this bigger I wonder why i didn't'?

Mark Rabiner
Portland, Oregon USA
http://www.rabinergroup.com

Message from Dan C <leicaman@sympatico.ca> (Re: [Leica] Alternate to current 35mm ASPH?)