Subject: Re: [Leica] Leica DSLR
From: "Richard F. Man" <richard@imagecraft.com>
Date: Mon, 17 Mar 2003 22:24:25 -0800

At 09:36 PM 3/17/2003 -0800, Mark Rabiner wrote:
>Not OK. As far as myself and my clients are concerned my M6 IS a digital
>camera as is my Hasselblad CM both shooting color neg film. This is
>common where i bring in my film here in Portland to a Pro place they
>make large scans from every single shot on the roll. All for 17 dollars.
>A two day turnover. They call them raw scans but that in effect means
>untouched my human hands it's a big expensive machine that seems to
>work. Occasionally I'll run into some dust with requires some cloning.
>Less dust than my scans though. When i finally get a digital camera or
>back I'll enjoy not one piece of dust. Big deal. Oh and instant
>turnaround. Almost not a big deal.
>There is always scanning at various turn arounds and quality level of
>your rolls of film or individual frames.
>I think only recently has the majority of digital photogaphy been done
>by digial camreas. Before it was negs being scaneed.

Actually, the major reason I don't "care for" digital system right now (we
do have a digicam) is precisely that. I shoot Provia 100F majority of the
time. With the exception over the weekend, local Keeble & Shuchat sends the
slides out everynight and I get them back the next day. Then I stick the
whole roll into the Nikon 4000 roll film adapter and 1 1/2 hours later, I
get them all scanned. Dust is not a problem since I turn on ICE and the
scan input device has a brush builtin.

To me, this is almost the best of many worlds. I still have the original
slides and have them in digital format to play with and print, w/o having a
wet darkroom (I know the lure of a darkroom, I might yet build one, but it
is oh so convenient to scan and print digitally...)

The other major reason is ergonomics - I have small hands and I can't stand
huge cameras. How small? Well, I have no problem at all extracting the film
canister from the M7. I think Bob Shell's review said something like he is
ready to buy the M7 except that he can't get the canister out easily.
Certainly not a problem for me.

// richard <http://www.imagecraft.com>