Subject: Re: [Leica] Leica DSLR
From: Mark Rabiner <mark@rabinergroup.com>
Date: Mon, 17 Mar 2003 21:36:35 -0800

><Snip>
>
> I don't really care if such back exist or not. I just got the M7 and am
> happy with it, it's more a curiosity, and certainly not a trolling
> question. I now own two small unique camera systems (OM and the M), and I
> don't expect I can use my lenses in future Digital system purchases. When I
> purchased the M7, I know full well that it will be a "dead" system, as far
> as digital future, so it doesn't bother me.
>
> OK?

Not OK. As far as myself and my clients are concerned my M6 IS a digital
camera as is my Hasselblad CM both shooting color neg film. This is
common where i bring in my film here in Portland to a Pro place they
make large scans from every single shot on the roll. All for 17 dollars.
A two day turnover. They call them raw scans but that in effect means
untouched my human hands it's a big expensive machine that seems to
work. Occasionally I'll run into some dust with requires some cloning.
Less dust than my scans though. When i finally get a digital camera or
back I'll enjoy not one piece of dust. Big deal. Oh and instant
turnaround. Almost not a big deal.
There is always scanning at various turn arounds and quality level of
your rolls of film or individual frames.
I think only recently has the majority of digital photogaphy been done
by digial camreas. Before it was negs being scaneed.

Also you guys have very short memories or my credibility here is pretty
low. I witnessed a conversation among people working for Leica at the
Leica Historical society meeting this October in Portland which i
ralated to you that a Digital camera or back for the R system is numeral
uno priority in the R&D area over at Leica. Sure did not sound like BS
to me! He's talking about how the time had come for the full chip so
Leica was not at this point about to come out with a chip which
transformed your 50 into a 90 reading only the center of the area. So
this slowed up things a bit R&D wise. And Kodak is committed to Canon
and Nikon and Sony is committed to their walk mans i don't know...

Putting a sensor inside a camera in effect making it a digital camera
with Leica M lenes on it is on the long one not a logical thing. For one
there are angles with the lens mount which make this difficult someone
else can better explain.
But also the ultra high specs of Leica lenses are wasted on aiming it's
light on a digital sensor grid (I forgot what these commonly known
things are called). you might was well aim your Olympus glass at them.
Or Nikon Canon.

I'd like to know how in general at this point in time Leica R glass
stacks up against Leica M glass.

Mark Rabiner
Portland, Oregon USA
http://www.rabinergroup.com