Subject: Re: [Leica] Leica DSLR (Now "How to Survive Your First Foray into LUG-Land")
From: Mark Rabiner <mark@rabinergroup.com>
Date: Tue, 18 Mar 2003 15:49:10 -0800

Not rude, just crude.
A definition of "rude" i just looked up:  Abruptly and unpleasantly
forceful. Yep that's us! But we always lift our pinky up when we drink
our tea!

Toxic waist.
The people who give us the most trouble are the people who come on
smiling. But it's toxic toxic toxic city.
When we respond to them at all appropriately it appears that maybe we
are being a tad harsh!
As this is radio and not TV they don't know if we've taken the gloves
off or not.
But they can guess.

Truffles and Trifles.
I think Leica and what it represents is a target many people love to
trifle with.
Some to justify why they are not really into it.
Spending all that money on machine which forces them to do everything
and think? That's what money is for isn't it? To buy stuff which does
the thinking and doing for you!?
The tool has real class but who the hell needs it I've got a Jaguar E
type parked right outside with plastic seat covers on the leather seats.
(Inside joke)

Testing one two ...
There's smoothing to be said for weeding out these annoying and
purposively stupid people right off the bat.
Many of the new people come on and appear to be testing us. They think
we're funny. They have the smug thing going that we are so stupidly
quaint.
They know they are going to get a Leica to sit on their mantelpiece and
impress people while they continue shooting with their consumer or
professional; film or digital - point and shoot so what's the difference?
A Leica is really too much trouble to actually use as your picture
taking machine.

Leica Limited
There' a variety of stupid or thoughtless things they could say which
would amount to a troll.
One is the say they are buying into Leica M which they've never touched
with a pinky for very limited jobs as their Olympus or Nikon or Canon
can do the job better as when things get going at all you really need
autofocus. This is information they impart to use based on a
preconceived idea but no experience. I should be oblivious that many of
us would have that experience and they should be asking not telling.
I have a real problem with people making big judgements about glass,
high end Leica or otherwise based on the output of 4x6 snapshots.
Ironically it may be digital scanning and printing which makes us more
aware of the reality of our glass.

People who live in glass...
They talk about all their cheep lenses which they claim based on little
to no objective careful testing are better than Leica glass. They
announce it to use like it's a fact brought down the mountain by
Charlton Heston. Then why spend all that money on Leica glass and why
come on the Leica list and  mess with us I'd think or say.

Time Gap
Occasionally we get someone whose last roll of film was on an M3 that
was the current model at the time. But they are not forthright with us
about it. This runs into problems. They talk about a roll of film the
shot which did this and that but they are talking about a roll they shot
in the mid 60's. The time gap really makes for some logical issues.

Smuckers Log Jam
The biggest are the ones who don't read the FAQ and that stuff and start
bragging about how smart they were to lay out 120 bucks on a UV filter
for their new Leica lens "to protect their investment."  And they we
hope the same old arguments don't transpire back and forth but get more
pissed off at the new guy for bringing it up in the first place. And any
other number of proven log jam issues.
Beside the FAQ they should at least have skimmed over much of what Erwin
has to say.

Double agenda
Or they work politics into their very first post.

Mitigating routine
Its a full moon folks my computer Excite says although i could not spot
a dent in it last night as it came up over the horizen!
Lets invite the Nikon people over for a baseball game. I'll find my mitt.

Mark Rabiner
Portland, Oregon USA
http://www.rabinergroup.com