Subject: RE: [Leica] Leica DSLR (Now "How to Survive Your First Foray into LUG-Land")
From: "Kit McChesney | acmefoto" <kitmc@acmefoto.com>
Date: Tue, 18 Mar 2003 09:52:03 -0700

Richard--

Take this from one of the few vocal women on the list (you'll see Lea and
Tina and Karen posting here regularly, too) who have been put through the
virtual wringer in various ways (I get to be put through the second spin
cycle because I'm also a dealer; Tina is sometimes accused of having a
conflict of interest if she lauds any Leica products because she spoke about
Leica to a group of more than two people in a public place once and Lea has
recently had to swat several rude posters with her ponytail) ... when you
see comments that seem to be insulting, just fire back with as witty a
volley in response as you can. Though I've never been in a sorority (heaven
forbid) and for obvious reasons, never joined a fraternity, I've come to
understand the idea of "hazing," and how that feels. In LUG-land, it's
mostly noise, and as it turns out, the folks who start out as being the most
... shall we say, "inhospitable" can sometimes come to be one's best
LUG-buddies. Sometimes.

Don't let anyone give you hell because you didn't read every single post
about something. And if you see someone gratuitously giving you a hard time,
ignore the post by hitting the delete key. Pretend it never happened, and
don't take it personally. Not everyone here is poised and ready to jump down
your throat just because you've asked a question that may have been asked
umpteen thousand times before. And so what if it has? Big deal. If days of
postings can be devoted to which brand of Scotch tastes less like mildew and
how many Minis we've either owned or dreamed of owning, then you should
certainly be able to ask a Leica-related question without being flayed
alive.

When I first joined, I made the nearly-inexcusable faux-pas of advertising
sales on a day other than Friday, and on another occasion, broached the
taboo subject of Leica warranties. If I could survive those two grillings,
you'll be fine. Hang in there. :)

Kit (otherwise known as Cranky Kit, or better, Leica MP Silver Rewind
Handcrank, Model 14437)