Subject: Re: [Leica] Now that Leica glo' no mo ---
From: Johnny Deadman <lists@johnbrownlow.com>
Date: Tue, 4 Mar 2003 21:20:55 -0500

I think Dante is completely right and Erwin is full of it.

Listen, I have boarded most of this season on a 156cm Burton BMC which
is the lightest, snappiest snowboard I have ever ridden. However, it is
too short for my weight which means I wasn't carving properly and it
was sketching out on hard turns. So I went out and bought a 164cm BMC.

The first day I put it on, it was like I had never ridden a snowboard.
I practically took the f***ing thing back. It felt like a big LOG stuck
to my feet. I fell a hundred times, even coming off the chair lift. I
could have written reams about how I wasn't getting any feedback from
it, all the kind of stuff that Erwin wrote.

However I know enough about my own learning curve to stick with it in
these circumstances, and that these kinds of feelings are actually
God's way of telling you you have done something right. After all, if
it felt the same why bother to change? So a couple of weekends later I
*love* the 164. It rides on rails like a damned train. You get your
balance right and it does all the turning for you. Amazing board.

Anyway, Erwin's spiel is just a fancy way of saying he prefers his
Mom's cooking.

I am currently learning to use a Canon 1Ds which is a massive change
from a Leica. I've also recently learned to use a 4x5 camera. All of
this was difficult, but worth it. And all of it, including
snowboarding, is a question of transferring technique from your
conscious brain to your reptilian brain. Once you do that it's all
intuitive, no matter which camera you're using.

JB