Subject: Re: [Leica] Now that Leica glo' no mo ---
From: Henning Wulff <henningw@archiphoto.com>
Date: Tue, 4 Mar 2003 23:01:54 -0800

At 5:16 PM -0800 3/4/03, Patrick Jelliffe wrote:
>Henning,
>
>Yes, I too, as most on this list, have used a variety
>of equipment, and am fairly adept at adapting to
>whatever camera happens to be in my hands.
>Unfamiliarity with a tool is not what I'm talking
>about. I would truly like to see some images taken
>with the RF at minimum focus and wide open using the
>75 Summilux.  Feel free to email them to me off list.
>
>Regards,
>
>Patrick

I could dig them out, but they're ugly and boring. I wasn't sure
about the focusing after I bought the camera, so I put it on a tripod
at about 30 or 40 degrees off the wall, and photographed a series of
lines one inch apart at various distances with various lenses. I did
this with a Noctilux, the 75/1.4 and the 90/2, and with a .72 M6, a
.85 M6 and the Hexar. The .85 did best, while the .72 and the Hexar
were about equal but showed a little bit bigger spread (I did 5
shots, refocusing each time) with the Noctilux and the 75. The 90/2
showed a bigger spread with the Hexar, so that's not a good
combination. The 75 showed enough accuracy for me to trust it.

I don't do this sort of testing much, but once in a while it's
necessary so that you can know what the limitations of the equipment
are and you can feel confident using it.

I'll see if I can scan and post a real photo that I took wide open at
close distance in the next day or so.

- --
    *            Henning J. Wulff
   /|\      Wulff Photography & Design