Subject: Re: [Leica] 21mm Skopar opinion(s) please
From: Henning Wulff <henningw@archiphoto.com>
Date: Tue, 4 Mar 2003 18:13:07 -0800

At 5:30 PM -0800 3/4/03, Mark Rabiner wrote:
>Seth Rosner wrote:
>>
>>  21/3,4 Super-Angulon. Dick Gilcreast reviewed a bunch of 21mm lenses in LHSA
>>  VIREFINDER two or three years ago. 21mm is not how I see
>>  but I did use the Super-Angulon a bit some years ago and found this lens to
>>  be very good indeed, alm ost no distortion.
>>
>>  Seth
>>
>  Sieff's work was all about the  21/3,4 Super-Angulon. A very
>distinctive lens which is apples and oranges from the Scopar. I don't
>think the  21/3,4 Super-Angulon cost an arm and a leg at this point.
>Have what a current 21 cost. A very compact lens someday i hope to get
>one. I'd wait a few more paychecks and get one An amazing classic.
>A Schneider lens on your Leica what could be more cool!
>
>My approach is you're shooting with the greatest camera there is no way
>chince on the glass?
>
>It's the glass that takes the picture, not the exposure meter.

...but the thing is that the Skopar is better than the S-A in almost every way!

If you want the _very_ best, get the 21 ASPH. If you want the next
best, get the Skopar.

I used the 21/3.4 for nearly 30 years, and during most of that time,
it was the best 21 available in 35mm as far as I was concerned. In
later years I also had the 21/2.8 pre-ASPH for the metering
convenience, but it wasn't nearly as good as the SA. Then the ASPH
came out, and I relegated the SA to use with filters and when I
wanted a more compact lens. Then the Skopar came out, was better than
the SA and could use the same filters as a number of other compact
lenses, and the last reason for keeping the SA disappeared.

- --
    *            Henning J. Wulff
   /|\      Wulff Photography & Design
  /###\   mailto:henningw@archiphoto.com