Subject: [Leica] 21mm Skopar opinion(s) please
From: "Fred Sears" <edseas2@shore.net>
Date: Tue, 4 Mar 2003 17:01:33 -0500

I have used (and loved) the Leica 21mm asph. lens but I don't want to spend
the $$$ required to go that route.  As a lover of Sieff's work, I can't help
but think that he wasn't using the Leica aspherical lens (it wasn't around
in his earlier days) and that, obviously, he wasn't using the Skopar either.
So, a couple of questions have come to mind:

	1)what do we think of the 21mm Skopar?
	2) do we know which 21mm Sieff used for the majority of his work - perhaps
it is worth spending the $$$ to purchase an older 21mm Leica glass, in other
words.

I'm probably wrong to say this, but all of the pictures I've seen taken with
the Skopar seem much more distorted than those I myself have taken with the
asph. Leica glass (and believe me, I'm no great shakes with the lens but I
do try to keep it level on both planes and that seems to help a lot) so,
question number 3 is:

	3) does the Skopar distort a lot more than the Leica glass?  (This would
include earlier versions of the Leica glass too).

Obviously Sieff was the master with this lens and perhaps, many of his
tricks died with him, but I maintain, that a well controlled photograph
taken with a 21mm lens can sure be a thing of beauty.

Thank you,

Fred Sears

Replies: Reply from Henning Wulff <henningw@archiphoto.com> (Re: [Leica] 21mm Skopar opinion(s) please)
Reply from Jerry Lehrer <jerryleh@pacbell.net> (Re: [Leica] 21mm Skopar opinion(s) please)