Subject: [Leica] wideangle observations WAS 21mm Skopar opinion(s) please
From: Johnny Deadman <lists@johnbrownlow.com>
Date: Tue, 4 Mar 2003 21:04:46 -0500

A couple of points here:

1) All rectilinear-drawing wide-angle lenses have distortion. Objects
at the edges are stretched out in order to preserve straight lines. You
can preserve dimensions at the expense of the lines in a fisheye lens,
which is no more or less distorted, just distorted differently. For
many applications a fisheye may be preferable because it requires few
design compromises and covers a greater area for a given focal length
(eg a 15mm fisheye on 35mm gives 180 degrees FOV across the diagonal --
very useful for stitched QTVR panoramas).

The only way to get an undistorted wide angle image is to map the image
to the inside of a sphere and view it from the center like a
planetarium. It is in fact quite possible to do this using regular
lenses and cameras using software like ptGui (www.ptgui.com) and ptMac
(www.kekus.com), both of which are shareware, work amazingly well, and
are based on Helmut Dersch's open source Panotools suite.

Therefore if you mean that the lens doesn't have much barrel
distortion, it's worth saying so.

A cylindrical projection is halfway between a rectilinear (standard)
and spherical (fisheye) lens. This is rectilinear in one dimension and
curved in the other. Here is a link to a bunch of cylindrical 360
degree panoramas that give you the general idea. Note that the last
one, which is a forest landscape, does not appear to be distorted at
all because the only straight lines are in the vertical direction.

	http://www.pinkheadedbug.com/wip/360/index.html

In fact ALL rectilinear  lenses feature dimensional distortion but you
only really notice it in wide-angles.

There is no such thing as an undistorted lens, any more than there is
an easy way of mapping the surface of a sphere into a plane. In fact,
if you think about it for a moment, you will see that in many respects
these are the same problem.

2) Mark is dead right about the Skopar.