Subject: Re: [Leica] Don't put a filter on your lens you said. I ignored you and gues s what...
From: Mark Rabiner <mark@rabinergroup.com>
Date: Mon, 17 Feb 2003 15:15:19 -0800

My UV filters are stuck in my camera-closet. I can't seem to get them
out of there. There's always some nice COLOR filter to put on instead
which really do something positive to the image if I feel like putting
on a filter. But I have no patience for mealy-mouthed filters of no color!

Again I'll say in 39 years of photography most of it professional and UV
filterless I've never scratched a front element. A real element on a 150
Sonnar for my Hasselblad, but no front element. The lens shades of
course protect the lens easily enough. Especily on a normal or telephoto
lens.  If this person smashed a filter thread on a zoom telephoto lens
it means they were not using a shade. Now there's a lens I'd not dream
of not using a shade with. All that glass. Just dieing to flare.
ESPECIALLY if i had a UV filter on it.
A UV filter and no shade easily the worst combination there is. And i
don't care if it's super double multi coated and cost as much as a
Tokina lens.

Mark Rabiner
Portland, Oregon USA
Photography