Subject: Re: [Leica] Digital photography and My new M7
From: Mark Rabiner <mark@rabinergroup.com>
Date: Mon, 17 Feb 2003 14:18:24 -0800

tlianza wrote:

> Hi to all,
>
><Snip>
>
> I got a great bonus the other day, so I went out and ordered a new camera:
> an M7.  I opened the box in the The Camera Shop (yeah, that's the name of
> the camera store...) and I just stared at it for a few minutes with a silly
> smile.  I ordered a chrome .72x.  I slipped my 35 'lux onto it and ventured
> up to Vermont to wander around in -5 degree F weather.  Being the Geek that
> I am, I "didn't need no stinkin' instructions" and I have to say that it
> just felt great.  I found the exposure compensation was a bit awkward with
> gloves on, but overall it was a great experience to be out there in nature
> with a new "buddy".  I also took my ol' R7 and my NEW 35-70 zoom (Yet
> another item I swore I would not buy...) out for a walk too.  These are
> cameras that can take the cold and it showed.  The zoom got a little
> sluggish as it got really cold, but it was useable. I found the cameras
> could take the cold better than me....I forgot a hat, big mistake when below
> zero.  Tonight, we're in for a blizzard here in Southern New Hampshire... It
> should be nice walking around in the higher temps....it has been just brutal
> these past few weeks... I'll really be testing out that exposure
> compensation tomorrow....
>
> Take care...
>
> Tom Lianza
> Technical Director
> Sequel Imaging Inc.
> 25 Nashua Rd.
> Londonderry, NH 03053
> tlianza@sequelimaging.com

Ah Tom! you must not Forget that Hat!
70 percent of all cold goes straight up out your head! (could that be
all that eacapes?)
Twenty % out of your feet (wool socks needed)
The rest is inconsequential I say just go out there with matching wool
hat and socks and the rest will take care of itself.
I it were not for pockets would we wear pants?
"And that has made all the difference".
I looked up New Hampshire and it's North. And there is no New South
Hampshire like I might expect.
Which is no big deal I thought New Hampshire was south making snow a
more of a rare treat.
"The sun did not shine, it was too wet to play,"

And one must not forget to shoot that one last roll of Kodachrome before
it dies, put it in it's special packet.
The US Post office takes but i'm sure it's passed off rather quickly to
a special NSD; No such division division.
To the one last Kodachrome facility in an unmarked basement in Rochester.
At night the waste is loaded onto trucks which drive away with their
headlights off to be dumped in some very rich persons very big backyard,
perhaps the Kennedy's but then you'd have to cross a state line.

Tom I enjoyed this on as much as the one on "The Flare Can" use used at RIT!
Sequel Imaging Inc is not on the internet it sounds to me  you are still
taking picture in your retirement! I also guess this because you
mentioned Velox contact proofing which i just missed and I'm 52,

It is pouring here in Portland Oregon. And my lower back just went out.
That has not happened in ten years and I forgot what plan A was. When in
doubt crawl? Rain being about the only weather we really have in
Portland. Rain. Either it rains or it doesn't rain. Spring? Summer?
Fall?,(all the tree's are evergreens)? no just Rain check for yes or not
for no. Seems like it tends to get checked.
Symphonic Dances by Rachmaninoff plays on the radio my favorite pice of
music so it could be worse.

I think there is something gained and something lost when one adds an
SLR with a zoom to ones M7 and a nice walk.
I hate having a choice.
Especially between the hard edged thinking persons M camera and a
friendly sensual instant SLR with zoom.
I hate that choice because I'd reach for the SLR about every time; when
i was tired or any excuse.

Mark Rabiner
Portland, Oregon USA
Photography

Get a purge for your brain. It will do better than for your stomach.
Michel Eyquem de Montaigne.

Website: http://www.rabinergroup.com
Email: mark@rabinergroup.com