Subject: Re: [Leica] anti war in amsterdam
From: Mark Rabiner <mark@rabinergroup.com>
Date: Sun, 16 Feb 2003 08:47:04 -0800

animal wrote:

> > Hey Simon,
> >
> > Good work there.  Taken as a whole you have really shown what went on.
> >
> > I think TMZ may be a little overkill for a daylight scene.  Some of the
> > grain comes through even on the web.
> >
> > Mike D
> >
> Well i really wanted to try hyperfocusing at f8 and thought i needed 1/250
> at least for most scenes so that left me little choice with the dark day.
> Also most pics are cropped a lot and in order to make out a pretty face here
> and there i unsharpened a lot and that brings out the grain.
> Thanks for your comments.
> simon
> p.s according Kodak literature the film should give better results then a
> 400 pushed twice.do you disagree with that?

If you can push a 400 film to 1600 and still get good shadow detail AND
get good grain then I'd like to see it!!
TMX is designed to be 1600 and IS in most developers, 3200 in the Kodak
proprietary developer I think its called T-Max developer. The grain I've
experinced from that developer is clumpy and uneven and mushy. Not fine
but not really coarse either. But clumpy and uneven. See there is fine
grain and not fine grain and there is also what the grain looks like. Is
it regular? Clumpy chunky? Smooth and creamy? Does it look like sharp
wet sand or mushy mushrooms? I go for the sharp sand like look. No clumpyness.

Also pray might I suggest Neopan 1600 which IS ASA 1600  ("ASA" is a
16th century term, what is it now Din? Dim? IS0!) and cost quite a bit
less than T-Max P3200 in most places.
If it cost more I'd get it. Comes in a green box. Fuji.

Also if shooting 1600 in sunlight if you shot it at f16 and 1000th of a
second in the sunlit street then you've over exposed it one stop. Your
lens has to stop down to F22 or your camera has to have a shutter which
goes to f22.
Or do what i do which is put a B+W 060 yellow-green filter on it with
improves the panchromatic ness of the film. Cuts thought Haze makes
people look better and lightens foliage. All of those things you want.

And finally i'll mention Delta 3200 is real 1200 not 1600 like we'd
expect from Ilford if not 3200 and from my tests and for all the money i
find that a rip off.
I'll sometimes use it in my Rolleiflex TLR as it's the only high speed
medium formant film in town.

Mark Rabiner
Portland, Oregon USA
Photography