Subject: Re: [Leica] Valentine Heart
From: Mark Rabiner <mark@rabinergroup.com>
Date: Fri, 14 Feb 2003 06:29:21 -0800

"Richard F. Man" wrote:

> At 07:19 AM 2/14/2003 +0000, GeeBee wrote:
> >This is an Olympus OM1 shot, background PhotoShopped to clean it up. I
> >like it and it is Valentines Day after all :-) My photography may not be
> >getting better but my nerve is.
> >
> >http://www.geebeephoto.com/html/tpalt02.html
>
> I love this list. No Leica yet - I am still waiting for the opportunity to
> get an M7. I did rent an M6 over a weekend. I also rented a Mamiya 7II over
> a weekend so I have a very little experience with RF. Not a whole lot
> really but enough experience to tell me that they have their advantages. A
> few weeks ago, I was practically chased off the CV list, (warning - whining
> rant to follow, delete now if not interested) with this sequence of events:
> - I was interested in the performance of the CV SLR lens for my OM4T, so I
> joined the CV list to see if anyone knows
> - no one seems to know, so I ordered one anyway from Camera Quest, but I
> figure I would stay around since I was / am interested in getting a RF
> - a few posters said they are either former and current OM users, which was
> a surprise to me then. In fact, that was one of my wavering point on
> getting a RF - since my OM is already small and mechanical, I thought that
> might make owning a RF not as inviting, but I was pleasantly surprised to
> hear that they are rather complementary. There were a few "OT" posts from
> the OM users, but I did not participate
> - I posted a followup just to get a better sense of the strength of RF. May
> be (I don't really know) because it is clear to me that a Bessa would not
> do, due to its relatively loud (compared to an M) shutter, and my
> preference showed. I got one or two nasty replies on list, and a private
> mail to tell me to stop wasting bandwidth!!!
>
> That was just too much so I unsubscribed. I could have ignored the bullies
> but it just doesn't seem worth it. Generally, I personally don't
> participate in OT posts, but it is so refreshing to see people on a Leica
> list posting that they take their (wonderful) pictures, taken with another
> camera, without list bullies jumping to...
>
> Sorry for the ranting.

I've very confused Richard!!!
For the life of me I cant figure out what CV means! The company who owns
Olympus? CV SLR lens?
Curriculum Vitae? Cardiovascular?

The Olympus people would have thought you were OK if you used Leica
instead of Bessa (Voigtländer)?
If so pretty weird they having non Olympus cameras which are OK and some
are not based on what ??

I'd love to have an Olympus OM 1 but don't care to hear them discussed
in much detail here on the LUG. That's not why I'm here on the LUG the
Leica Users Group I'm here to hear about using Leicas.
Mention it. But don't keep telling us about it. We don't need to know.

The way I see it an OT off topic post is talking about Pizza or elephants.
But hearing the trials and tribulations of ones escapades with a Contax
645 or Pentax 35mm SLR to me is not an OT off topic break. It's just not
what where are here to talk about.
Brian says talk about all rangefinder cameras is OK.
IN your case you wanted to let the Olympus people in on your trails and
tribulation with rangefinder cameras.
They responded the same way I would if I were on that list. Which i
might join laster this year.
Olupus dont make rangefinders other than the XA which I used to use and
still have. A Connecticut Leica.

For a lot of us Olympus cameras ARE Leica SLRs as these people can't
deal with the Leica R's and the Leicaflex. Mainly because of the bulk
but I'd think the cost of the lenses. For others an Olympus are Leica
M's with a mirror inside and a groundglass. The glass is great if you
happen to get the right lens.
IF pictures can be posted here on the LUG from other cameras remains to
be defined.
People do it sometimes and there is not thunder and lightning from above
the cybersphere.
I say if we're not supposed to talk about why are we looking at it?
A huge number of folks complain like crazy when i complain about off
camera Paws or otherwise pics.
They go "he's taking pictures, let him alone"
I go "he's not taking Leica pictures, kick him in the pants!"
This is just not a general photography list. This is a Leica list. It's
flattering people what to make it their general photography list as they
get a vibe from the intelligence, intensity, irreverence, and humour of
the banter in the list. But it ain't.

I say if you spent the week with your Hasselblad (as I did  this week)
then you don't have a paw that week on the LUG. You missed a week. Big
Deal! If your goal was to have a Paw every single week of the year then
what's that Pentax around your neck? (better wipe off that foam on your
mouth!) Or print a neg you took last week.

Many of us are very wealthy and have a great many very expensive cameras
and want everyone to know about it.
This is hard on the Leica M thing because unless you've used the camera
extensively for a good part of one part of your life you have to keep at
it fairly consistently to be in tune with it to a fair extent. All the
other cameras are enticements against a strong Leica M technique
commitment and you start talking about the limitations of the Leica M
system which you wouldn't be if you'd shot just with just your Leica M
all that time and was totally in tune with it.

Without a Visoflex which many would forgo it's not a macro or longer
tele camera but lots of people do a whole lot of work and never need
once a macro or longer tele lens. (180mm)
IN other words if you want to really get good shooting the Leica M6 or 7
or whatever I'd put that cute spunky Olympus Om# away in a tupperware
tup and put it in the attic where you cant find it for 3 months to a
year.
A Leica M takes come gettin used to. Takes concentration. Its a brains
camera. Put it next to your pillow at night. (I did that the first 2
weeks I got my M6 10 years ago.)
Welcome to the list.

Mark Rabiner
Portland, Oregon USA