Subject: Re: RE: [Leica] Is the issue of camera noise over-rated? - Talk amongst yourselves...:-)
From: Douglas Herr <telyt@earthlink.net>
Date: Tue, 28 Jan 2003 08:54:02 -0800 (PST)

> I  shot a wedding in a tiny, 200-year-old church with just my
> Ms - I was right up next to the altar - my daughter, who was
> assisting me and was sitting in the back of the church, told
> me she heard every single shot I took... :-)

I imagine she was particularly sensetive to the sound of the shutter.  Most of us won't consciously "hear" many of the subtle sounds around us, unless it's a sound we're familiar with in a different context.  For example, how many of us would hear the sound of a swan's wing as the bird flies over a city street?  More of us will hear the swan if it's also honking, and even more of us will hear it if we substitute the swan with a noisy flock of crows.  A quiet camera does not ensure that nobody will hear it, but it will reduce the audible intrusion to where very few people will give it much notice.

Doug Herr
Birdman of Sacramento
http://www.wildlightphoto.com