Subject: Re: [Leica] What Makes a good Picture?
From: "James A. Gatlin" <jagatlin@attbi.com>
Date: Fri, 29 Nov 2002 10:41:48 -0800

I think possibly your hesitation was due in part to the fact that your
subjects were 'famous songwriters'. Would you have felt the same hesitation
if you were at a rescue mission serving meals to the homeless, or passing a
beggar on the street? How about the survivors of a fire, or an accident or
some sort? Could it possibly have been the 'star' status of the people
influenced your decision not to shoot, giving them more respect than you
would other people in other situations?

Of course, I understand that discretion has to be used in each situation,
depending on why you were there to begin with, and what relationships you
wish to preserve in the future. So Elton John might have objected to having
his photo taken.... so too might Jack the homeless guy on the bench in the
park.  Essentially, every frame is a private moment, or private gathering to
some extent. Unless specifically asked NOT to, I probably would have taken
the shot.

Maybe that is why I am not invited to such stellar parties!  :-)

Cheers

Jim G

J.A. Gatlin Photography
My Work in Black & White