Subject: Re: [Leica] Cartier-Bresson exhibition
From: "Stuart Phillips" <>
Date: Thu, 19 Sep 2002 11:36:03 -0400

I've just finished Ruskin's "Modern Painters", (the abridged edition) which
is an awe-inspiring book, but strangely comforting when you get into it.
It's worth it just for Ruskin's own illustrations. James Elkins' "How to Use
Your Eyes" provides some elegant and thought-provoking essays on visual
topics from grass, the Earth's shadow and perspective to the night. There
wasn't one topic where I didn't learn something that I didn't find amazing.
It isn't til you tryudied to follow up his sources that you find how far he
has studied to put these insights together.