Subject: [Leica] (was13 or 23%) - NOW spot meter and LF
From: Christer Almqvist <chris@almqvist.net>
Date: Sat, 31 Aug 2002 22:21:20 +0200

The last comment on the 13 or 23% thread was a statement that
bothering with the subject matter was not going to bring anything, it
would be better just to shoot away with your M6, or alternatively get
a spot meter and/or a LF.

I have been through all that and must disagree. I had a Minolta spot
meter for a year and then sold it. It took up a lot of space in my
camera bag, took too long to use and did not make a single picture
better than it would have been with just the M6 meter.

For me the way to go is to learn how  the M6 meter reacts. All you
need to that end is to invest in a roll of film and meter for the
shadows and then make an exposure, and then some more exposures of
exactly the same subject in exactly the same light closing down the
aperture one stop at a time. Or go the other way and measure the
highlights and then expose a few frames with the aperture opened up a
stop at a time. And then a frame exposed exactly as metered without
any adjustment. But make notes of what you measured and how you
measured. Then study the negatives, provided you know what to look
for, and see what adjustments you need to make to the meter values in
order to obtain esxcellent negatives. If you wish you can then repeat
the whole exercise in one or more different and more difficult light
situations.

Large format? I got myself one of those folding 6 by 9 cm ones, OK
that is perhaps more MF, with an  105 mm f/2.8 Voigtländer Color
Skopar. Not only did my Leica negatives shot with the ASPH lenses
look much better, even the Leica prints looked much better than the
MF ones when both were blown up to the same size. And MF gave me all
that bulk, and only a few frames on each roll, and it was difficult
to load the developing tank reel.

- --
Christer Almqvist
D 20255 Hamburg and / or