Subject: [Leica] 1940's Photo
From: DFangon@aol.com
Date: Sat, 31 Aug 2002 17:52:57 EDT

It was a Jane Callender Bedlington Terrier figurine on Ebay, and I wrote to
all my expert riends, asking what they thought.  Everyone was positive, so I
bid, and won
the auction.

The next day I had an e-mail from a gentleman who asked if I would be
interested in a second Jane Callender piece.    It had been in his family,
and he was ready to part with it.  Oh boy--I wrote him back, and said that
yes I  would like to see the piece, and that if it was identical to the one I
won on  Ebay then I would surely be able to find it a good home amongst
Bedlington friends.  He offered it to me at a very reasonable price.

So--the story continues.  I sent a check for the piece on Ebay and itarrived.
 I unwrapped it from the bubble wrap, held it up, and OH NO, the tail was
broken.  My heart sank.  I truly do not think the seller knew, as there was
no piece in the box.  I think to only a Bedlington, or dog, collector the
broken piece would have been noticeable.  Anyway, the seller was very kind
and I returned the piece to him, and was sent a prompt refund.

So--chapter two, I arranged to meet the fellow who now had the second Jane
Callender piece--we live about 3 hours apart, and we met halfway at a
McDonalds.  My friend went with me, and as I walked in to the McDonalds I was
met by a lovely gentleman with a big packing box.  As the story goes his
first wife's parents had Bedlington in New York City in the early
1940s--he even gave me a photo taken with a Leica camera of his mother in law
and an early dog.  I waited patiently as he unwrapped this second piece--I
could hardly bear to look at the tail.  The piece was perfect, very different
from the one on
Ebay, and much more in the Jane Callender style.  This one is marked and
carries the original store label.  In addition he had a wartime addition of
the Bedlington Terrier Club of America manual which I purchased for a very
fair price, and I was in seventh heaven.

It was interesting that he went on Ebay to see if he could determine the
worth of his statue, and just happened to find the auction on which I
originally bid.  To my knowledge there has not been a Jane Callender
Bedlington on Ebay—what were the chances of him finding that one auction at
that one time??.

So there ends the story of the two Jane Callender pieces and the photo of the
mother in law taken by a Leica camera..  I do believe the first will be
relisted on Ebay, and, in my opinion, the tail could be easily  repaired.  I
would estimate that perhaps the bottom 2-3 mm. of the tail is missing.  Tails
are always a problem with Bedlington pieces, as they can be so fragile.
Sally Schill
Columbus, Ohio

Dante