Subject: Re: [Leica] FOM 2/year 2
From: Alastair Firkin <firkin@ncable.net.au>
Date: Thu, 4 Jul 2002 08:02:44 +1000

>A failure? Not at all. Am I perplexed over the requirement that only
>Leica be used to take the photo? A bit, as it is a bit elitist. Able
>to personally discern what is considered to be good or even
>acceptable? I'm in the dark here. But that is always up in the air
>with things like Family of Man types of photos. My father bought me
>the book when I was just starting photography (when I was about 16),
>and my first impression was that it was sort of "adult" for me, not
>in the sense of having "adult material" but being at a level I
>didn't really appreciate. Comparing the original FOM images with the
>FOM2 images gives me the impression that the content and format have
>changed a bit. We now have color, and we now have obviously posed
>shots. If someone were to ask me what sort of picture should be
>submitted to the FOM2, my answer would be "the format and content
>are your choice, but the camera must be a Leica". Is that what the
>FOM2 is all about? If so, it isn't a failure in any sense of the
>word, but is certainly a departure.
>
>Jeffery

The Leica thing is not because I think only Leicas can take images,
but we are a LUG and as leica users, I wanted to promote using the
Leicas. To be honest, we had over 770 submissions, and I hope around
1000 each year, and if I expanded the project to any camera, the
numbers would be too great for part timers to control. The idea was
also NOT to mimic or try to repeat FOM 1. After all, it was taken
from over 2 million retrospective images. The idea was to have a
prospective look at life now, from a group of 600 spread around the
world. As you can see, it is easy to offend some people despite all
your best efforts, but despite the critics, comments from people
OUTSIDE the LUG have all been very positive, and despite the comments
that the images are trite, again, I have many who feel the selection
was quite broad. I also have to say, that NOONE agrees with every
choice, and that is not surprising.

Thanks Jeffery. I'm glad to have you articulate that it is indeed a
departure from the FOM1, and an attempt to use the concept to create
something new.

Cheers
- --
Alastair Firkin