Subject: Re: [Leica] FOM 2/year 2
From: Jeffery Smith <jls@runbox.com>
Date: Wed, 03 Jul 2002 09:35:09 -0500

A failure? Not at all. Am I perplexed over the requirement that only Leica
be used to take the photo? A bit, as it is a bit elitist. Able to
personally discern what is considered to be good or even acceptable? I'm in
the dark here. But that is always up in the air with things like Family of
Man types of photos. My father bought me the book when I was just starting
photography (when I was about 16), and my first impression was that it was
sort of "adult" for me, not in the sense of having "adult material" but
being at a level I didn't really appreciate. Comparing the original FOM
images with the FOM2 images gives me the impression that the content and
format have changed a bit. We now have color, and we now have obviously
posed shots. If someone were to ask me what sort of picture should be
submitted to the FOM2, my answer would be "the format and content are your
choice, but the camera must be a Leica". Is that what the FOM2 is all
about? If so, it isn't a failure in any sense of the word, but is certainly
a departure.

Jeffery

Replies: Reply from Alastair Firkin <firkin@ncable.net.au> (Re: [Leica] FOM 2/year 2)