Subject: Re: [Leica] Asking permission, KISS & the decisive moment
From: Ted Grant <tedgrant@shaw.ca>
Date: Tue, 11 Jun 2002 06:54:52 -0700

Alexander noted:
>> That would be easy, but if Nathan took a portrait of a person on the
> > Oktoberfest where you can see on the picture that he "targeted" this one
> > person on the Fest - it is no historical document and you will have to
ask
> > this person for allowance to use his picture.<<<

Nathan responded:
>> So, does that apply to this shot, for example:
> http://www.wajsman.com/40alt3.jpg
>
> I obviously targeted the girl since she is the only person in focus...and
I am
> obviously "using" this picture since it is on my web site (albeit not
> commercially). From what you write above it would seem that the only
pictures
> from Oktoberfest that one can exhibit are overall shots of the beer hall?
This
> seems a bit restrictive.<<

Hi guys,
I'm glad I didn't know I was supposed to ask permission when I've shot the
Oktoberfest on magazine assignment as the pictures would've all been dull
and boring by interrupting the moment..

If one attends the Munchen Oktoberfest with a camera and asks permission
every time they wish to shoot, no one will have time for a  good beer
because photographers will constantly be interrupting the festivities. Not
to mention the photographer not having any time for a beer or two. ;-)

Shooting the Oktoberfest doesn't mean just to take pictures! ;-) After a
couple steins of good German beer the pictures always get better.... well OK
they do in the viewfinder. ;-) On the film later? Well it depends on how
many liters! :-)

In any event, it could be argued that every picture is a recorded historical
moment, as that moment is a record of time.  Hell at this kind of event
shoot quickly, quietly and first, worry later. Things are happening so fast
that to keep stopping and asking "can I take your picture when the people
are completely oblivious of you and your camera " is a waste of time and
breaks the momentum of the moment.

Besides at the Oktoberfest everyone is half smashed anyway, so why interrupt
them with questions?

Sure if your picture is going to be used to sell beer or any other product
now it's a whole new game.
ted

Ted Grant Photography Limited
www.islandnet.com/~tedgrant