Subject: Re: [Leica] Asking permission, KISS & the decisive moment
From: Nathan Wajsman <wajsman@webshuttle.ch>
Date: Wed, 12 Jun 2002 06:43:36 +0200

Hi Ted,

> If one attends the Munchen Oktoberfest with a camera and asks permission
> every time they wish to shoot, no one will have time for a  good beer
> because photographers will constantly be interrupting the festivities. Not
> to mention the photographer not having any time for a beer or two. ;-)

Exactly! Most of the people whom I photographed knew that I was doing it and
gave some sort of tacit consent.

> Shooting the Oktoberfest doesn't mean just to take pictures! ;-) After a
> couple steins of good German beer the pictures always get better.... well OK
> they do in the viewfinder. ;-) On the film later? Well it depends on how
> many liters! :-)

Very true. I stayed there for 3-4 hours, and my pictures did get better and
better. The beer is very helpful to the photographer in two ways, first it makes
the people more relaxed and hence provides for better pictures, and it makes the
photographer less shy about going close to people to photograph them. The only
problem are the frequent toilet trips required to dispose of all those litres...

Cheers ;-)

Nathan

- --
Nathan Wajsman