Subject: [Leica] Re: Leica and digital photography
From: Jim Brick <jim@brick.org>
Date: Mon, 20 May 2002 16:01:34 -0700

At 04:44 PM 5/20/2002 -0400, Tina Manley wrote:

>And does he realize that he will never have to buy film again?  That
>little memory card can be used over and over.  I've saved enough on film
>to more than pay for my digital cameras.
>
>Tina
>
>Tina Manley, ASMP
>http://www.tinamanley.com

But he has to have a computer to read-in the photos from the memory card,
and a CD burner to write the photos back out as it wouldn't take long to
completely fill a HD with photographs. And a printer to be able to print a
photograph. So how many 4"x6" photos can you print from a tri-color ink
cartridge on the average $195 printer?

By the time the average schmuck buys a digital camera, couple of memory
cards, computer, printer, software, memory card reader, CD burner, CD's
photo paper, learns how to use it all to get those happy snaps from his
last trip or his niece's birthday party, he will wonder why he just didn't
use film, give the film to a one hour lab, pick-up the 4x6 happy snaps, and
be done with it, with weeks and weeks of work and frustration left behind.

:)

Jim

PS... Tina, you're different. You have a purpose for learning how to and
doing all of this. The average schmuck soon discovers that he is in, in
many cases, over his head both financially and intellectually. It's always
that next $250 gizmo that will make all the difference. It will bring it
all together. No wait... he needs yet something else... and something
else... Zip drive, Jazz drive, CD drive, DVD drive, $195 printer, $300
printer, $750 printer, better ink supply, Pentium 5. All because he wanted
to save money, and not have to buy film!

Message from "J. Gilbert Plantinga" <gilplant@hvc.rr.com> (Re: [Leica] Leica and digital photography)