Subject: Re: [Leica] Lenses For Wedding
From: Mark Rabiner <mark@markrabiner.com>
Date: Mon, 13 May 2002 11:46:54 -0700

Darrell Jennings wrote:

> Is your problem the brightness or the sharpness in the
> viewfinder?  If you normally wear glasses you may find
> that getting a diopter will help.
>
> In terms of the Hasselblad, I added a diopter to my
> PME3 and it helps.  I also bought a PME90 that has a
> built in diopter adjustment (nice, but only goes to
> +.5 or +1, and I need +2).  I find that I can not
> focus accurately without diopters on all my cameras
> including my Leica M's.
>
> If the issue is brightness, you may want to switch to
> Leica M's or go to a Leicaflex SL or SL2 which have
> brighter viewfinders than the older R's.  My
> understanding is that the R8 has a very bright
> viewfinder as well.
>
> --- "inyoung@jps.net" <inyoung@jps.net> wrote:
> > Hi,

Darrell! My Problem?  To many free radicles!

I've got all kinds of Hassy prisms but almost never use them.
I save up for months for them thinking they will change my world but in
the end they never do.
I love the waist level finder and my camera is usually at waist level.
(remember i dont focas)
With my Norman Bracket and flash I feel like I've got  a nice outfit and
technique for proven results.
I feel that with my eye glued into and eyepiece I'd never get the shots
i get.
Frankly the shots i get with waist level finders on my Hassy and
Rolleiflex rival the spontaneity of the shots i get in 35mm with my
Leica M'S.

Some day I'll have to land me a waist level finder for my Leica M's.
Didn't HCB use something like that?

The pure weight of the Hassy prisms I find an strong detriment. But
thier modern meter prisms I've love to use some day.
Sometimes the Hassy stuff makes the Leica stuff seem cheap. Sometimes not.

The real reason why i changed to 6x6 format for weddings and events is proofs.
I don't let anyone touch my negs. No proofs made. I make contacts.
6 6x6's on a contact is way easier to see than 35 24x36's.
The grannies are not about to be about to see  35 24x36's, not with any magnifier.

Mark Rabiner
Portland, Oregon USA
http://www.markrabiner.com