Subject: [Leica] Kodak changes Tri-X and Plus-X emulsions -- Why?
From: "m" <matteo1970@fish.co.jp>
Date: Thu, 02 May 2002 21:51:27 +0200

Please excuse me if it's old news already but I can't find anything in the LUG archive about this: I was checking out some stuff about Xtol for Plus-X in the Kodak official site and I found this

http://www.kodak.com/global/en/professional/products/blackWhiteIndex.jhtml

They're changing not only the packaging but the emulsions as well -- they'll give different development times, it's a question of a few months.

Right now Tri-X and Plus-X aren't already as good as the old emulsions (I'm only 32 but I can see the difference when I re-print my father's 40 and 30 year old negatives, there's much more silver in the old negatives), I think mr. Grant and the other old-timers here can tell us a lot about old Tri-X, how good it was and how good it still is

Are we the only ones to think that the combo Leica glass + Tri-X is something unique?

I know Ms. Manley and many other LUGgers already switched to T-Max tabular films, but so many of us (amateurs but also 95 % of the pros who haven't switched to digital, masters like Salgado and Nachtwey and Pellegrin) still love Plus-X and especially Tri-X. Why change?

 thanks,

Matteo Persivale
Milan, Italy

Japan Search: http://japan.co.jp