Subject: [Leica] Re: New Tri-X & Plus-X
From: "m" <matteo1970@fish.co.jp>
Date: Fri, 03 May 2002 22:33:55 +0200

Thanks Sal,

that really helped.
It's not about criticizing a product in advance.
For me and for many others -- even here on the LUG --
it's about being afraid of Tabular films, of Chromogenic B/W
films, and of course of -- ahem -- digital being considered
by Kodak a good and cost effective substitute for Tri-X
and Plus-X.

When I read that Kodak was tinkering with their
oldest and most famous
and -- many of us think -- best B/W emulsions, well, I thought
it didn't look good.
They've already changed Tri-X about 15 years ago,
as so many realize modern films don't react as well as
the older versions in the darkroom printing process (less
silver in the emulsion? some other change? a big guy like Jim
Marshall is positive for example about a decline in Tri-X
quality during the last two decades -- not as sharp, etc etc)

I'm happy that it's not the case. Just that. I'd hate to have
to switch films for my Leica and I probably get a little paranoid.

Thanks again to all the LUGgers who took the time
to answer.

Matteo Persivale

>    Personally, I find it amazing, someone would criticize a product BEFORE
>trying it. The new emulsions are not even on the market yet!
>    To Allan, at this point in time, there are NO plans to discontinue
>Plus-X or Tri-X.
>    To Matteo, the change is to improve the product.
>Happy Snaps,
>Sal DiMarco, Jr.,

let's study ENGLISH!
http://www.hungryforwords.com/home_jmail.asp?DisplayID=2&Mode=N