Subject: [Leica] A scary moment par excellence! :-) Hey funny!!
From: Ted Grant <tedgrant@shaw.ca>
Date: Tue, 16 Apr 2002 18:58:50 -0700

The phone rang in our office, "Could I have my Mother's portrait taken
tomorrow?" inquired the voice.

Bill Lingard my partner at the time replied, "Yes would 2 be alright as we
have an opening?"

Voice, " No I'm sorry that's too late as the funeral is at 12.30. Could we
do it earlier?"

"Well I suppose we could make some room, but could you be here right on
time?"

Voice' " No, as my mother died and I don't have a picture of her and I'd
like to have a portrait of her before they close the casket."

Bill who had an incredible sense of humour said, "Well of course, we can't
have her waiting so we'll be there at 10."

So there we were, me the gofer setting up lights and holding ladder when
Bill climbed up to shoot down into the coffin for the full portrait look.
Unfortunately the edge of the coffin created a shadow that spoiled the
Rembrant look of the lighting.  Bill down the ladder, found a fancy cushion
lifted the woman's head and tucked it under lifting it high enough for a
nice lighting look.

Up the ladder and about to shoot as the distraut daughter walked in and she
said, "Oh she looks so peaceful and lovely, but could you open her eyes?"

I looked up at Bill and thought he was going to fall off he ladder.

"Not right now, but not to worry they'll be open when you receive your
photos." he said.  I near wet me pants!

We continued with the shoot and when he was finished I asked how was he
going to open her eyes? "No problem. I'll just draw them in with
retouching." And winked.

Before he had film processed I left on assignment and when I returned the
first thing I wanted to know was how he made out?

"Oh the daughter was quite happy but thought her mother looked a bit starry
eyed" And smiled. :-)  Honest.

This is a true story and may I die before morning if it isn't!
ted

Ted Grant Photography Limited
www.islandnet.com/~tedgrant

Replies: Reply from "lea" <lea@whinydogpress.com> (Re: [Leica] A scary moment par excellence! :-) Hey funny!!)