Subject: Re: [Leica] 2 quick replies
From: Steven Alexander <alexpix@worldnet.att.net>
Date: Tue, 09 Apr 2002 13:10:02 -0400

> I remember 20+ years ago in the world of cinema when video was starting to
> come in, that film would be dead in just 5 years. Now film still seems to be
> doing well with 75% of prime time TV shot on film, Hollywood features are
> still the exclusive domain of 35mm (despite HDTV/digital being around for
> many years), a 3 to 6 month waiting list to buy a $150,000 Aaton or Arri
> 16mm camera. Despite the gains of digital still cameras, 35mm still cameras
> and film sales showed a 6% increase last year.
>
> I am not arguing against digital, just saying that there is a HUGE
> infrastructure built around film cameras that is not going away any time
> soon.
>
> sl

Boy do I remember 1977-1983 and the dying of film at the networks in
news...I watched my Arriflex 16 rentals go from 4 a week to 2 a month and
falling.  The value of my IATSE membership diminish and my IBEW card climb
in worth.  No the day of the announcement of the death of motion picture
production has not been as yet made but it will come.  Please remember that
most nonfilm production in the motion picture arena has been analogue video
not digital until recently.  The digital tools offer a much better tool.
Panaflex is getting into the digital arena, again I understand,  and you can
not discount the growing importance of digital video production tools like
the Canon XL's.  Apple has a huge and growing investment in Final Cut and
associated systems. The middle part of film production has been using
digital for quite sometime.  The thing that has continued to drive mp in
film is distribution; however, the use of digital distribution is upon us
and will become the preferred method of theatrical presentation.

But film lives on, scratches and all.

Happy snaps,
Steven Alexander