Subject: Re: [Leica] 2 quick replies
From: "Steve LeHuray" <icommag@toad.net>
Date: Tue, 09 Apr 2002 13:24:01 -0500

> On 4/9/02 Steve LeHuray  wrote:
>

>>I remember 20+ years ago in the world of cinema when video was starting to
>>come in, that film would be dead in just 5 years. Now film still seems to be
>>doing well with 75% of prime time TV shot on film, Hollywood features are
>>still the exclusive domain of 35mm (despite HDTV/digital being around for
>>many years), a 3 to 6 month waiting list to buy a $150,000 Aaton or Arri
>>16mm camera. Despite the gains of digital still cameras, 35mm still cameras
>>and film sales showed a 6% increase last year.

Adam Bridge replies:

> But this is starting to change rapidly. The advent of 24p HDTV cameras, and
the
> editing software, is making a HUGE difference.

> snip <

Adam,

Sure it is. I am not ignoring technological advances, really.

But two weeks ago i had dinner with Larry Thorpe, Executive Vice President,
Sony High-Definition Television. I have known Larry, in a professional way
for 15 years, and over a two-hour long dinner mostly what we talked about
was; High-Def, 24p, 35mm film. Larry reminded me, in anticipation of my
questions, that he had told me several years ago that, "35mm film IS
High-Definition Television." During the conversation he was right up front
in saying that it will be quite a few years before High-Def/Digital even 24p
replaces 35mm for feature films including television MOWs. Larry states, and
nobody more than him wishes it was not so, that High-Def/Digital still needs
a lot of development.

In addition, a year-&-a-half ago i attended a private screening by one of
the top High-Def shops in the country (Roland House) screened a test where
they shot various scenes in 24p, had it transfered to 35mm at e-Films in
Burbank and then projected the test on a big screen before over 30 DPs. The
DPs comments afterward were "very nice, but still not 35mm."

So despite all the media and manufacturer hype, film will be with us for a
very long time.

sl