Subject: Re: [Leica] Absolutely, totally off-topic
From: "David C. Mason" <dcm@pobox.com>
Date: Wed, 13 Mar 2002 14:04:29 -0500

Derek Zeanah <derek@zeanah.com> writes:

> But is this *actually* true?  I'm considering buying an LS4000
> scanner and I'm loathe to create a new partition on my box just for
> Windows.

I have a friend who uses a Nikon scanner on Linux. I use a really
cheap Korean made one that I found used :) I have no idea how easy it
was for my friend to set up, I have not talked to him about it, but
mine was very easy.

For the most part scanners are simple pieces of hardware to work with
- - basic I/O. Having said that, yes you are correct to some extent
about hardware vendors but we do support a great deal more than people
think we do. The real issue however, is not the user base (it is large
and growing), it is the fact that companies like Red Hat will not ship
closed source drivers. Its our philosophy and one that we think will
revolutionize the industry to the benefit of the consumer.

Should you run out an load Linux because I can use it with my scanner?
I don't know, it depends on what you want out of your machine,
scanning is only one thing I use mine for.

Cheers,

Dave

Message from "David C. Mason" <dcm@pobox.com> (Re: [Leica] Absolutely, totally off-topic)
Message from Derek Zeanah <derek@zeanah.com> (Re: [Leica] Absolutely, totally off-topic)