Subject: RE: [Leica] Re: Folly
From: Marc James Small <msmall@infi.net>
Date: Sat, 09 Mar 2002 23:17:42 -0500

At 03:03 PM 3/9/02 -0500, B. D. Colen wrote:
>You think that those of us who do not believe that the most evil regime of
>the 20th Century should be forgiven are "small."

BD

I have really tried to avoid stepping in here and I will try to step out
after one simple comment.

ALL statist regimes of the 20th century were equally "evil", be they Nazi
Germany or the Marxist-Leninist-Stalinist Soviet Union, or Communist China,
or North Korea, or Uncle Fidel in Cuba or Idi Amin or Saddam Hussein or Pol
Pot in Cambodia.  Trying to quantify evil is as silly as trying to spoon
the ocean onto a beach.  Evil is evil.

There are folks who point out that Chairman Mao gets the crown by killing
off something on the order of 100 million and imprisioning 300 million
more, while others opt for Stalin with his 25 million deaths and 100
million imprisioned;  these guys regard Hitler and his Nazis as a piker.
But such an analysis misses the simple reality that ANY evil is an evil.

All error must be opposed, be it some water-hosin' Sheriff in Alabama, some
Jew-excluding suburb of Pittsburgh, or Adolph Hitler.  To argue statistics
is to suppose that there is some point at which "evil" becomes acceptable.

And, yes, I am "Small".  Sorry, guys, the name is mine by right:  I
inherited it, through intermediaries, from John Small, who married Grace
Duncan in 1762, both of them being from Clunie, and who then moved to
Longforgan outside of Dundee.  Further details available on request.

And, at 5'9" (175cm, non-USian guys!), I cannot claim membership in this
Midget Brigade.

Marc

msmall@roanoke.infi.net  FAX:  +276/343-7315
Cha robh bąs fir gun ghrąs fir!