Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: airport film check
From: Ted Grant <tedgrant@shaw.ca>
Date: Sat, 09 Mar 2002 11:59:39 -0800

Eric wrote:
>>> I don't see what the big deal is.  Is there any recorded terrorist that
> managed to blow up a plane because his film was hand inspected rather than
> going through x-ray?  Hand inspecting film isn't going to pose any
danger.<<

Hi Eric,
At the 1992 Summer Olympics in Barcelona, Spain we had everything scanned
and more than once a day. And that included all film whether we liked it or
not. Why?

Well it seems European security forces had discovered before the Games that
someone had been playing with film cassettes and loading them with some form
of explosive content. Big amount? I have no idea.

But on more than one occasion when a photographer got mouthy about film
being destroyed and his hand inspection should be honoured as it was at
other sports events he was given the option....... "leave your film outside
the building or have it scanned!"

Of course the KODAK labs were in the Main Press Centre so obviously the film
had to go in the building and in the thousands of rolls processed by the lab
not one roll was ever damaged by the scanning. No matter how many times the
roll may have gone through them

Don't forget, the scanners were at every venue site and in operation 24
hours a day so shooting at one event then going to another your bag and gear
went through again and again..

Trust me and it was everybody! And they didn't give a damn who you were or
if you were shooting for the King of Siam! Or that you and your gear, bag or
photo vest had gone through the scanner 20 minutes before........ "your
going in this building? You get scanned!"

So for the unenlightened out there in the cold cruel world, film can be used
if some one wants to do a dirty thing any time any where. Unless of course
they're caught being scanned!

And on that note I just let my film go through wherever and when ever.

>>Where do you stop?  How do you decide which laws will be enforced and
which ones will be changed by local rent-a-cops?<<<<

These days after 9/11 I generally roll with what I'm confronted with and
accept the world is made up of unfortunate minimum wage security positions
controlled by politicians trying to enforce their next winning vote mind set
on the world!

Hey life's too short for a pissing match over airport security, I do it my
way and roll with whatever I'm confronted with, and do that with the
absolute least amount of confrontation and provocation.

Keep life and Leica times simple! Makes for a more comfortable flight! :-)
ted

Ted Grant Photography Limited
www.islandnet.com/~tedgrant

Message from Ted Grant <tedgrant@shaw.ca> (Re: [Leica] airport film check)