Subject: [Leica] Re: airport film check
From: "Eric" <ericm@pobox.com>
Date: Sat, 09 Mar 2002 09:32:23 -0600

Ted:

>It's people like you doing the tough ass act that make it tough for the rest
>of us flying photographers who make a living at taking pictures.

Here in the US, it's the law that hand inspections are allowed.  I see
nothing wrong in asserting that your rights be respected.  The inspectors
don't make the law.  They're not allowed to change it, either.

http://www.faa.gov/avr/AFS/FARS/far-108.txt

> Sec. 108.17  Use of X-ray systems.

> (e) No certificate holder may use an X-ray system to inspect carry-on
> or checked articles unless a sign is posted in a conspicuous place at
> the screening station and on the X-ray system which notifies
> passengers that such items are being inspected by an X-ray and advises
> them to remove all X-ray, scientific, and high-speed film from
> carry-on and checked articles before inspection. This sign shall also
> advise passengers that they may request that an inspection be made of
> their photographic equipment and film packages without exposure to an
> X-ray system. If the X-ray system exposes any carry-on or checked
> articles to more than 1 milliroentgen during the inspection, the
> certificate holder shall post a sign which advises passengers to
> remove film of all kinds from their articles before inspection. If
> requested by passengers, their photographic equipment and film
> packages shall be inspected without exposure to an X-ray system.

This applies to all domestic flights within the US.  If some 2-bit security
guy doesn't understand his job and his obligations under the law, I think
blaming the passenger is misplaced.

Eric

Replies: Reply from "James R. Nelon" <jnelon@netvigator.com> (Re: [Leica] Re: airport film check)
Reply from "Roland Smith" <roland@dnai.com> (Re: [Leica] Re: airport film check)