Subject: Re: [Leica] airport film check
From: Ted Grant <tedgrant@shaw.ca>
Date: Fri, 08 Mar 2002 22:49:51 -0800

Larry Fuller wrote:
>>> I flew Burbank to Cleveland about a month ago, and insisted on a hand
> check. They were stalling and uncooperative, but I was two hours early
> so I decided to demand a supervisor and stand there in the way until
> they did. They made me stand on the 'circle' and do the whole 'routine'
> (take off shoes, belt, sweater, etc.), and took their time, but I didn't
> mind. I had a couple rolls of 200,  two of 400 and a couple 800. I told
> them I was in no hurry and that I understood. I think that ticked them
> off, as they were trying to make it so I would give in and not insist on
> the hand check. I guess it depends on the mood of the inspectors and how
> defiant you are willing to be.<<<<<<

Hi Larry,
Well ol buddy there are a few airports in the world where you don't want to
pull that trick because they'll just leave you sitting there until you see
your flight rotating off the runway.

Try Heathrow in London UK for one. And I'd bet you could run into some mean
assed supervisors in the USA who'd let you sit there until hell freezes over
or you've peed your pants, certainly after 9/11.

This standing tough at airport security gates and demanding hand check of
film is just a big crock! Hand baggage scanners will not do anything to your
film..............PERIOD!  NADA, NOTHING, ZILCH! So why have the world think
you are some kind of jerk demanding a hand check and supervisor attention
etc for absolutely what?

So you can show them you've got two hours to kill by being a pain in the ass
to everybody. Big deal, next time just throw the film down and walk through
and pick it up..

It's people like you doing the tough ass act that make it tough for the rest
of us flying photographers who make a living at taking pictures. And that
may well be your case also, but hey man why make it tough for everybody when
a small touch of common sense could make life real easy for everybody.

And you created all that fuss over a lousy half dozen rolls of film?

>>I had a couple rolls of 200,  two of 400 and a couple 800. <<<<

Jeeeeeeeeeeeeesh!   Have a nice flight.
ted
Ted Grant Photography Limited
www.islandnet.com/~tedgrant