Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: Salgado Revisted
From: Ted Grant <tedgrant@shaw.ca>
Date: Tue, 12 Feb 2002 14:42:28 -0800

George Lottermoser wrote:
>>I recommend, when viewing a work of art, try to let your
> "knowledge" of the creator, and even history, go and allow the
> image (film, whatever) to speak for itself. If you never heard of
> Salgado, what do you see and feel from the image?<<<<

Hi George,
Absolutely correct!  I don't give a flying hoop what the photographer's
background is, as I'm a photographer interested in the work as presented.

Who the hell cares what the supposed message is, under lying usually if
there is one, unless the viewer is one of those overly active intellects
always trying to figure out the meaning of the universe and why snow flakes
are not the same.

But if you no diddly about the photographer and his/her philosophies of life
and just look what one human being did with the same tools you have that is
all that matters.

If there is an  "under lying message that surfaces" then one can ask and
listen or disregard, simply because the most important fact is...... how
good, interesting, whatever are the photographs one is viewing!

It's the same old way, "KISS......... Keep it simple stupid and view with
photo objectiveness, not political meaning or any other nonsense.
ted

Ted Grant Photography Limited
www.islandnet.com/~tedgrant

Replies: Reply from "Matthew Powell" <mlpowell@directvinternet.com> (Re: [Leica] Re: Salgado Revisted)