Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: Salgado Revisted
From: Ted Grant <tedgrant@shaw.ca>
Date: Tue, 12 Feb 2002 11:32:21 -0800

Matthew Powell wrote
>>> I see no reason to separate art and politics. Most any art form that
tries
> to tell a story - be it Leni or Salgado's photography, Kubrick's movies,
> Picasso's paintings - is going to be informed and influenced by ideology
and
> philosophy.<<<<

Hi Matthew,
When I spent the better part of 10 years documenting the medical profession
to produce the book, "This is Our Work. The Legacy of Sir William Osler"

I don't know where politics or ideology came into it at any time. Actually
never crossed my mind at anytime, as I was too busy shooting what was before
me in the best fashion I could to capture all the activities.

I don't understand all the fuss and key pounding, not your post, but the
many others about the politics and ideology behind the photography of some
of the great photo documentaries of our times.

Sometimes I wonder if folks on the LUG read far too many things into
pictures or they watch way too much TV with wild imaginations. Be best for
them to sit down and talk to the people they're talking about and find out
what was in "their minds" while shooting.
ted

Ted Grant Photography Limited
www.islandnet.com/~tedgrant

Replies: Reply from "Matthew Powell" <mlpowell@directvinternet.com> (Re: [Leica] Re: Salgado Revisted)