Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: war/ was rude
From: Teresa299@aol.com
Date: Tue, 5 Feb 2002 14:03:07 EST

In a message dated 2/5/02 8:17:07 AM, ARTHURWG@aol.com writes:

<< It's a lot more than the economy, and it's no joke. It's central to the
evolution of human civilization.  Perhaps this is why we value war
photography so highly, and why we idolize the great war phtographers.  They
document the main event. Arthur >>

War photography is great if you're sitting on your arse looking at a coffee
book or standing in some brightly lit museum eating goose pate and finger
food.  Safe and warm, one can politely critique the eloquence of the vision,
the bravery of the photographer, the essence of a "decisive" moment.

On the other hand, war, like any form of violence, isn't so glorious or
beautiful if you're on the receiving end, a fact that any number of Luggers
on this list can probably attest to.

I suppose for some the "main event" in life is to celebrate Man's blood lust.
 For me, I prefer lust without the blood.

- -kim

Replies: Reply from "geebeespaw" <geebeespaw@btopenworld.com> (Re: [Leica] Re: war/ was rude)