Subject: [Leica] Fedex film to Paris?
From: "Robert G. Stevens" <robsteve@hfx.andara.com>
Date: Mon, 04 Feb 2002 16:48:28 -0400

At 01:30 PM 2/4/2002 -0500, you wrote:
>Two things to think about in terms of a trip to Europe -
>1. Getting film there - FAA regs specifically give you the right to have
>film hand inspected, rather than having to put it through the Xray machines.
>However, you, Robert, will, I assume, be flying out of Canada, where FFA
>regulations are of even less import than the pronouncements of George Bush.
>So...If I were you, I would consider FedExing my film to my first hotel in
>Paris.

I don't think the x-rays will be a problem.  If we are lucky it will only
go through three times.  I have  had good luck with hand inspection except
for our return from France two years ago when in Toronto they insisted I
take the high speed film out of the ziplock bags(no  canisters) and X-Rayed
the rest.

As for the security measures, in Canada we have had things such as baggage
matching to passengers on the planes since the 1980's and the Lockerbie
Scotland crash.  Never had curb side check in.  Never allowed people
without boarding passes past the security check point.  The carry on stuff
has now gotten more scrutiny.  Every electronic device in carry on not only
gets X-rayed, but also hand inspected and it must be turned on.  Big delays
waiting for everybody to dig out their laptops and boot them up.

>2. Getting film home - Rather than have it French fried, or having to worry
>about processing in Europe, FedEx your exposed film home.

Is the customs going to be a hassle? Couriers usually charge $30 for the
privilege of touching your customs paperwork.

If I FedEx the film to France, how does it clear customs?  Has anybody
actually done it between countries?  I may arrive in France to find a note
from Fedex requiring me to pick the film up at their office or be at my
apartment and wait for it to arrive in order to pay the duty.

>Yes, the FedEx charges will add to the cost of the trip, but they are
>minimal when compared to having film ruined by overzealous terrorist hunters
>or maladjusted Xray equipment.

Probably a good point when you weigh the cost of the trip into it.  The $80
spent on a Courier is minimal compared to the rest of the costs.

Regards,

Robert