Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: Richard Ogden's PAW
From: "Richard Ogden" <rj.ogden@virgin.net>
Date: Tue, 15 Jan 2002 18:44:07 -0000

Eric,

It was the light which first caught my attention, but the difference in
exposure between the sunlit sea and the shadowed buildings was enormous. I
could have based the exposure on the reflection and got some juicy texture,
but that would have rendered the buildings in silhouette - which I didn't
want. So I gave just enough exposure to give some tones in the buildings and
let the reflections look after themselves. There is detail in the bright
area on the negative, and I'm hopeful that in a paper print I'll be able to
burn it in - but when I tried the same in a scan, the highlights just went
grey - not attractive! So, at my level of scanning know-how - basic - that's
as good as I can make it, though I still like the level of tone in the
buildings, so I think the basic decision about exposure level was the right
one.

Thanks for your comments,
Richard
Richard Ogden