Subject: Re: [Leica] M Topplate M2-3-4-5 vs. M6-M7
From: "Richard Ogden" <rj.ogden@virgin.net>
Date: Wed, 16 Jan 2002 17:06:16 -0000

John,

That's correct - the information came in the Winter 2001 Leica Bulletin.

Here it is:

"Sign Up For Life"

A Leica M6 is the sort of product that most people buy only once in their
lifetime. It is a cherished possession that becomes more and more 'part' of
the photographer the more he uses it.

Such is the attachment formed between Leica users and their cameras that we
have been approached on numerous occasions by M6 owners asking whether we
could make a personal engraving on the tantalisingly blank top plate.

The blank space has traditionally been reserved for the special engravings
carried by limited edition cameras and, for this reason, Leica Camera AG in
Germany has always declined such requests.

Now we are delighted to say that special permission has been obtained to
offer a personalised engraving service for the Leica M6 owners in the UK.
The 'Signature' service is carried out by highly skilled engravers on behalf
of Leica Camera Limited and can be applied to new M6TTL bodies or older M6
cameras.

As the name of the service implies, the most popular engraving is expected
to be the owner's signature and the all-inclusive price for this is £92.50

The cost includes a full service check of the camera's functions. And, in
the unlikely event that you should ever want to sell your Leica, a
replacement top plate can be fitted, allowing you to retain the original."

Uli Hinter
MD, Leica Camera Ltd

The illustration shows a signature (in the owner's handwriting - not printed
letters) engraved towards the front edge of the top plate, ending just in
front of the accessory shoe. Very nice too. Anyone know the cost of the
replacement top plate?

Regards,
Richard

Richard Ogden