Subject: Re: [Leica] Four Categories of high definition developers
From: Mark Rabiner <mark@markrabiner.com>
Date: Wed, 09 Jan 2002 09:34:12 -0800

Mike Durling wrote:

> I remember you said you did a lot of Panatomic X with D-23 back then too.
> How did this compare to the other two in terms of tonality?  Did each have
> its particular purpose?
>
> Mike D

I was into doing a thing with Metol and sulfite. Which is D23 in a sense.
D23 starts out with 100 grms of sulfite just like D76, both solvent developers.
1:1 it's 50 grms of sulfite
I paired mine down to 25 or 30 but that's still a solvent developer.

Beutlers has 5!

My D23 concoctions were never near as sharp as Rodinal or Beutlers as
what would be expected.
They were like using a cheap UV filter with nose grease not quite wiped
off when used after using Rodinal or Beutlers.
"Clean that glass off!!"
Mush I say Mush!! But you get used to it.
But then i switch to Leica glass and I'm not at all in the mood for
getting used to it.

Xtol is a solvent developer which is probably much sharper than any
other solvent developer.
Smooth but very sharp as well.
I'm going to retest Beutlers and see how much sharper it really is than
Xtol. And other issues like grain.
If it turns out to be a lot better in comparison i might easily go back
to it of course. Why not? Convenience?
...and or experiment with my own Beutlers with ascorbic acid developer.

Mark Rabiner
Portland, Oregon USA
http://www.markrabiner.com

Replies: Reply from "Mike Durling" <durling@widomaker.com> (Re: [Leica] Four Categories of high definition developers)