Subject: Re: [Leica] re: frugal plug
From: Ted Grant <tedgrant@shaw.ca>
Date: Sun, 23 Dec 2001 05:56:56 -0800

John Straus wrote:
>>I think. I was just being made fun of for wanting to save some $$ after
buying a Leica :)<<<

G'day John,
Well the lads here do poke at a body occasionally, so don't take them too
seriously. :-)

However, there was some good advice to your question. If you wish to improve
your photographic ability there really is only one way, that is "shoot tons
of film," period. And to do that, if you're unfortunately having an economic
situation and as much as I can't imagine doing it, "sell the Leica (total
blasphemy ) :-) buy a lesser machine " for your early learning to see
curve."

Then when you're funds improve, return to the Leica and away you go with the
camera of heart choice. Your Leica results will be better and as we all tend
to blame the "equipment" when things go a foul, you will be passed that part
creating wonderful results with the newly acquired Leica.

Now having said that, next best solution is purchase your film in 100' rolls
and load your own film cassettes, as many find this very economical for
early stages of learning. Then purchase the minimal amount of film
developing gear and do your own. From there you can unfortunately get deeper
into money for a few trays and make contact sheets for minimal editing and
critique. And getting deeper into debt, comes an enlarger. Or scanner....
even more money! :-(

It's a tough call and really only something you can answer because, only you
know how much money you can spend on film and bits and pieces.  It's easy
for us to give all kinds of advice, even though some tongue in cheek.:-)

Unfortunately old buddy this has to go back to your court for the answer.
But before I'd sell the Leica, I'd cut back on food and other good things
and buy film! :-) And I'm serious about that one, it's not tongue in cheek.
:-)
ted

Ted Grant Photography Limited
www.islandnet.com/~tedgrant