Subject: Re: [Leica] Completely OT: Help Sought
From: Brian Reid <reid@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us>
Date: Tue, 18 Dec 2001 20:48:19 -0800

> Can any list member explain what is going on and how to remedy the
> situation ?
>
> Interestingly, until about 2 weeks ago I had no problems posting to the
> IDCC.

Boy, do I ever know what is going on. If there is such a thing as
justifiable homicide, I would like to suggest that it be used first on the
people at RELAYS.ORDB.ORG and others like them.

Nobody likes to get spam. Most of us just cuss and delete it. Some people
who are control freak technocrats get so outraged that they try to do
something about it.
There are about a dozen vigilante organizations out there who make lists
of computers that they claim are sending spam and then try to trick
well-meaning ISPs into using their lists.

It is almost all utter bullshit. About 99% of the computers that make
these blacklists are not sending spam at all. In your case, they've
blacklisted CUNY. The ISP that hosts the IDCC has been tricked into
subscribing to an anti-spam service, and that anti-spam service is
asserting that CUNY's computers are devoted to spam.

I would like to see a US Air Force bombing run made on everybody who runs
anti-spam services. I hate spam, but I hate anti-spam vigilantes a lot
more.

From time to time a LUG subscriber's ISP will start doing something like
this. When that happens, I instantly boot them from the LUG, and explain
that if they want to be on the LUG, they must either convince their ISP to
stop using these pseudo-spam-prevention services or they must find a new
ISP.

Replies: Reply from Akhil Lal <akhil.lal@bcc.cuny.edu> (Re: [Leica] Completely OT: Help Sought)